Palestinian boy from Nebi Zalach was severely injured after being electrocuted. He received treatment from IDF paramedics before being transferred to Israeli hospital
Last evening (October 15th), a Palestinian boy from the border village of Nebi Zalach was electrocuted, receiving severe burns. The boy’s parents brought him to the gate of a nearby Jewish settlement, Neve Tzuf. There he received treatment from both Jewish medics and IDF paramedics stationed nearby.
Cpt. Yuri Ponar, a paramedic from the Duchifat Battalion in the Kfir Brigade, treated the boy himself. “He had been electrocuted and suffered severe burns on his hands,” said Capt. Ponar. After treating and stabilizing the child, the medics transferred him to an Israeli hospital. “We were not sure if we should send him to a hospital in Ramallah or to a hospital within Israel, but after evaluating the severity of the injury, we decided to transport him to Tel Hashomer Hospital [in Ramat Gan, Israel]," said Cpt. Ponar.
The boy is in stable condition as doctors work to save his hands. “The biggest danger with burn victims is the initial shock and the way it affects the heart. Once this is no longer an issue, the victim can be stabilized,” said Cpt. Ponar.
The IDF soldiers are familiar with the boy’s village, as they are often called to respond to violent protests and stone-throwing incidents originating from the village.
“These sort of incidents happen quite often, Palestinians will come to the fence hoping to be treated in Israeli hospitals,” said Cpt. Ponar. “We treat everyone who asks for help. It doesn’t matter what religion or nation he is from, a civilian is in need of help. For me he is first and foremost a human being in need.”